Search Engine Optimization Tips You Can Use
Every business wants their web page to rank on the top of search engine results. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the way to get your page thereat the top of the list. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in search engines results through the “natural” or un-paid (“organic”algorithmic”) search engines. They use an algorithm (nicknamed ‘spiders’ or ‘bots’) to search for specific keywords or other components of your website.
The 7 Essential Factors for search engine optimization are:
Keywords are the most important component to Search Engine Optimization (SEO). For SEO purposes, keywords are defined as the exact phrases used by prospects to search for something.
- Do a keyword analysis to create a relevant key list
- Brainstorm with colleagues/interested parties to come up with keyword solutions
- Look at your competitor’s web page source code and look at their keywords for ideas
- Try to keep your keyword list clean – stick to 10 to 12 prime keywords
- Place more prominent and important words first, such as: business name, city, main services, etc.
- Make sure to use the <Title> & <Meta> tags effectively
In short, you will utilize in your code, in your content and even tags for your blog. In reality, keywords become the underlying infrastructure for most of your content rich marketing.
I have written about the importance of content before, but the way you produce your content is important to optimizing your search engine results. Create readable pages for search engine bots to index. Try some of the following tips:
- Bots love text – you could make 1000’s of pages, but you should just optimize what you already have
- Use keywords that people searching for your site will use
- Place main keywords repeatedly in text – remember to make it still sound good
- Watch out for the amount of keywords you use on your page (Keyword Density)
Page Optimization / Website Tips
This next section is an important section, as it deals directly with how you are going to layout your website content. These tips will help you maximize your website, for search engines to index them more readily. To start with modern web design practices lean towards a minimal look. Don’t waste all of your money on SEO and have an ugly website. Clean and simple are the rule and search engines love clean.
- Avoid image heavy websites or cluttered website
- Also the use of Flash or Java Script should be avoided at all costs. Search engines can’t index the pages
- Please avoid using Frames for your website layout! Spiders have trouble indexing them too
- Page Optimization – Where you place words on your page helps ranking. This process of keyword placement is called Prominence
- Use italics and bold keywords in your text. Spiders look for these when crawling your website
- They also look for keywords in your headings whether they are CSS (<H> tags) or HTML (<H1>, <H2>, <H3>,…tags)
- Put keywords in a bulleted list
- Name the pictures on your website properly to be indexed by search engines
- Utilize <IMG> alternate text when placing images in your website
- If you really want moving graphics on your page, use Animated GIF’s
These are just a few tips…there are a myriad of things that you can do to have an effective SEO friendly website.
This section deals with links and their relationship with search engines. Links to and from your page are very important. Links to your page physically draws traffic to your site, as well as creates an indexing opportunity for your web page. Placing links from your site to others is important as spiders will index your site, as well as, the page being linked to.
- Use long links compared to short
- Navigation for web page are links too
- Avoid image maps (making images act as a link)that search engines can read.
- Problems arise, if the links are made from Flash or Java Script, as search engines can’t see them
- You can add a site-map to add more links to your site
Submitting to websites does not guarantee that your site will appear in the rankings. Google says, “We do not add all submitted URLs to our index, and we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if they will appear.”
It is still a good practice to register your site!
Submit your site for free at these sites:
MSN/Live Search: http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx
It takes time to get your site indexed. The Google sandbox or ageing delay is when Google first finds your site, it will put it into the ‘sandbox’. Google may index it, but won’t necessarily rank it very well to begin with. It may take months before the site comes out of the sandbox and gets indexed well.
Also, the longer your site is running the better the search engine indexes it. This allows established sites to maintain their ranking.
The popularity of social media sites has risen exponentially over the last few years, with sites like Facebook and Twitter. Search engines love social media sites, and business profiles on these sites get indexed well. Search engines specifically like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, WordPress, Blogger and LinkedIn.
Some great things about Social Media Sites is that you can link them together, they can be integrated into your website and provide links for bots to index!
Hopefully, some of these tips helped you out and your page is soaring to the top of the ranks. Everyone loves it…when they are top.